Next term starts September 2017 – 6 week term.
6 week group programme costs 110 Euro.
Private lessons can also be organised.
During the academic year we offer foreign language courses to adults.We can also offer other languages upon request. French courses are offered by the French Institute which is located in the same building as Bridge Mills Galway Language Centre.
Classes meet one evening a week for 2 hours and run for 6 weeks, depending on timetabling with a following 6 week term before the Christmas break. We also have teachers who can provide private lessons and we can arrange special tuition for small groups, or lessons for specialist purposes. Our teachers are all qualified and native speakers, unless stated otherwise at the time of booking.
Please note there are no refunds for candidates who drop out of the course, miss any nights or withdraw from the course for any reason once it has started. Maximum class size 12 students. Minimum 4. Certificates of attendance available on request at the end of your course.
If you are living in Galway or the surrounding area and would like to join our mailing list or if you have queries regarding our foreign language programme, please complete and submit the form below:
- Cost: Classes cost E110
- Duration: 6 weeks with a 6 week follow up term
- Minimum 4 enrolments per level
Each class follows a coursebook in class which you can buy from the school office. The course book cost is not included in the price of the course.
Classes must be paid in full one week in advance of the start date of the class. A minimum of 4 students is required to run courses.
WINTER TERM STARTS SEPTEMBER 2017
Overview of Foreign Language courses – for more details on content per level please see our Pedagogy page
A1 Beginner / Elementary
- Can understand and use familiar everyday expressions and very basic phrases aimed at the satisfaction of needs of a concrete type.
- Can introduce him/herself and others and can ask and answer questions about personal details such as where he/she lives, people he/she knows and things he/she has.
- Can interact in a simple way provided the other person talks slowly and clearly and is prepared to help.
A2 Pre Intermediate
- Can understand sentences and frequently used expressions related to areas of most immediate relevance (e.g. very basic personal and family information, shopping, local geography, employment).
- Can communicate in simple and routine tasks requiring a simple and direct exchange of information on familiar and routine matters.
- Can describe in simple terms aspects of his/her background, immediate environment and matters in areas of immediate need.
- Can understand the main points of clear standard input on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school, leisure, etc.
- Can deal with most situations likely to arise whilst travelling in an area where the language is spoken.
- Can produce simple connected text on topics which are familiar or of personal interest.
- Can describe experiences and events, dreams, hopes & ambitions and briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans.
|Council of Europe Level||School Level||Content/Topic||Language/Lexis|
|A1||Beginner||Greetings, Introductions, Personal Information, Where I live, The,Workplace, Food & Drink, Asking Questions, The Home, Appearance,,Shopping, Quantifiers, Family, Asking for Directions||Alphabet, Numbers, Interrogatives, Verbs, Pronunciation, Possessives,,Pronouns, Vocabulary, Prepositions. Affirmative, Negative, Giving,Opinions|
|A1 contd.||Beginner +||School, Clothes, Sports, On the Telephone, Telling the Time, Weather, Expressing preferences.||Prepositions, Imperative, Accusative, Nominative, Present tenses, Adjectives, Regular and Irregular verbs|
|A1||Elementary||Hobbies, Work, Personal experiences, Celebrations, Travel, Health, Lifestyle, Social language.||Present and past tenses, Modal verbs, Prepositions, Comparatives, Interrogatives, Telephone conversations, Polite requests|
|A2||Pre – Intermediate||Free time, In a strange town, social situations, Time, Money, Like and Dislikes, Past experiences.||Body parts, Imperatives, Superlatives, Expressing preferences, Past tenses, Question words.|
|B1||Intermediate||Life, family , Environment and topics relating to your personal needs||Past , Present, Future tenses, Conditional Forms, Functional Language|