As an adult school, we know that many of our students like to organise their own leisure time, but we also recognise the need for a social programme of cultural and recreational activities to enrich the student’s time in Galway and at the school. We try always to have 3-4 cultural or social events for our students each week, either free or charged at cost.
- Traditional music pub evenings
- Concert & theatre trips
- Full-day excursion each week
- City history walks
- Talks on Irish history & culture
- Greyhound racing
- American bowling evening
- River boat trips
- Book club
- Seasonal parties
- Learn Irish language
- CV workshops
- Pronunciation workshops
- Learn the tin whistle
- Movie night
- Social nights
- Sport matches
Visits can be made to the acclaimed Druid Theatre, the Town Hall Theatre, the year-round concert series of Music for Galway, the Galway Film Society, Thoor Ballylee (castle home of the poet W. B. Yeats). Numerous music, film, arts and street festivals are a part of Galway life. The most famous of these are the international literary festival, Cúirt, in April; the Galway Film Festival and the Galway Arts Festival, both in July.
Festivals in Galway
|St. Patrick’s Day Festival||17 March||http://stpatricksgalway.com/|
|Cuirt Literature Festival||April||http://www.cuirt.ie/|
|Galway Early Music Festival||May||http://www.galwayearlymusic.com/|
|Galway Film Festival||July||http://www.galwayfilmfleadh.com/|
|Galway Arts Festival||July||http://www.galwayartsfestival.com/|
|Galway Horse Races||July||http://www.galway-races.net/|
|Galway Oyster Festival||September||http://www.galwayoysterfest.com/|
|Winter Skating Festival||Nov- Jan||http://www.galwayoysterfest.com/|
Sport in Galway
There are numerous sporting opportunities in Galway for visitors, including golf, horse-riding and racquet sports.
- Golf and Tennis. The Galway Golf Club and the Galway Tennis Club are both within easy reach of the school and offer guest facilities at reasonable rates.
- Horse Riding. There are many registered riding stables within 15 or 20 minutes of the city centre by car, offering private lessons, supervised groups, individual riding, and pony trekking.
- Sailing, Wind-Surfing and Cruising. These can be arranged through the Galway Sailing Club.
- Angling. For the angler, the rivers and lakes of Galway and Connemara are unsurpassed for salmon, trout and coarse fishing.
Living and Learning in Ireland
Live and Learn in Ireland seeks to help International students become familiar with studying and living in Ireland. The Live and Learn in Ireland project is funded by the National Forum for the Enhancement of Teaching and Learning (NFTL), has produced a number interactive multimedia units.